Friday 27 July 2012

"you've got big kudos points"

If you can look at that picture above and know precisely what it represents, you've got big kudos points from me!
That picture (I'd like to say 'of course', but the fact is they are still pretty much under-the-radar) represents my newest music crush, alt-J and their album, An Awesome Wave.

Ever since I heard them first on Fearne Cotton's Radio 1 show, I've been eager to hear more and haven't once found myself skipping a track. Their sound is like nothing I've ever heard before, yet encompasses so many factors that I look for in artists these days. Each time you listen to one of their songs you discover something new, something your ears missed, but understandably so, because each track has so many layers and levels to produce the complete sound.

The lyrics are sung and written in a way that you have to really try to understand them. I can see how some people may not like this and prefer to be able to sing along and belt out every word, but I love how alongside the way the whole song is put together, each listen to the lyrics helps you piece together the story line or message. It's also a plus that the lead singer has a stunning voice. He's such a skilled vocalist that it's hard to believe he was reluctant at first to be the lead singer of the band!

It truly is to me an exciting, beautiful and wonderfully put together record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment